Saturday, January 3, 2009

Ebony and Me... And Cooter...and Ginger


We just got home from watching Marley and Me. It was wonderful, and I recommend it to all! I read the book last winter, and I laughed, cried, and laughed some more. It is a wonderful book, and the best part is that it is a true story. A story of an irresistible, cute Labrador puppy, that grows in TROUBLE, love, and mischief.

I wasn't too sure if the movie would be as good as the book, but it turned out really good. Of course there were a few differences, but all in all it tugged at my heart strings just like the book.

Marley is a crazy dog, and that got me thinking of our dear Ebony. To me Ebony reminds me of a permanent puppy. She is a loving dog, but she can also be crazy. She is hyper, clumsy, and stubborn. She only half listens to me, she is always starving, can't take her eyes off her ball for a second, so much that we have to hide it so she will listen. Though she is nutty, she is also very sweet, loving, and loyal. Ebony turned 5 on December 4th. Seeing Marley and Me got me thinking how I don't want Ebony to get older. Having pets is so joyful, but in reality one has to remember that it is most likely that our pets go on before us...and that hurts so much! I have a little theory that God made pets to help people to give and receive unconditional love. He uses their death as a way to show us that though it hurts, we make it through it. I know that losing a pet is not the same as losing a person, but I'm just saying in a small way it introduces the feelings that come with death. I know that there are some people who just aren't pet people ( I think it is weird, I mean how could you not want a dog or a cat) but for the people who count their pets as family, I think that they teach us a lot about love, happiness, patience, care, and fun...and even death.

So I can't write this post and not mention my other two pets.



Cooter is our newest addition, and he is the sweetest dog. I am learning he is a little sneaky though. Ebony keeps getting caught...but I think Cooter is the mastermind behind the trouble. When Cooter came here he arrived with two beds...Ebony had three of her own. Guess how many they have now? Zero... that's right one by one they had a field day in the backyard, and had a shred fest. Then, just the other day I thought I heard a noise in the garage, and kind of brushed it off... well lo and behold later when I went to check on the rascals the bag of bones that was high up on the tool box was on the floor, with a good amount of bones missing, Ebony was happily enjoying one in front of my eyes, and Cooter was just innocently looking at me, I looked away for a second, and out the corner of my eye I saw him lick his mouth. We are enjoying him though, and I think he is happy here. He is older, at 7 years.

Then there is Ginger the princess of the house. She does whatever she wants, and looks pretty doing it.




So I just wanted to say that Marly and Me is a great movie. Read the book, watch the movie...get your kleenex and if you have a dog give him or her a big kiss... if you give them your heart..they will give you theirs, and if you don't give them your heart.. they will still give you theirs!

No comments: