
When Cory and I got engaged, we began talking to an Elder from our Church. Curtis arranged a meeting with us. We told him that we lived together. He encouraged us to start taking premarital classes with him, and he also encouraged us not to live together anymore until we were married. It was never right to live with Cory in the beginning, and I knew that, Cory knew that.... but we did it anyway. It always bothered me because I knew it wasn't right. So when Curtis came to mediate in our lives, we listened. It is never to late to try to do what is right, even if you did wrong, you can always take steps to learn and do the right thing. Curtis asked us why we wanted to get married. He liked our answers, and told us that he believed that we had something special, and that so many times when young people came to him wanting to get married, they didn't even seem to have real reasons as to why they were choosing to spend their lives together.
We started the classes, and I moved out. I moved in with Cory's parents. It was a hard decision to make. I remember the day I packed my stuff to leave. I was crying, because I wanted to stay with Cory but I knew in my heart that God was proud of me for trying to do the right thing. Cory's mom and dad supported our decision, and offered their home to me. Some people would say they could never do this, but I could because Cory's parents are truly some of the sweetest, most genuine people I have ever met.I love them so much.
I stayed with them for 7 months. In those 7 months my relationship grew even stronger. I got to see a glimpse of what Cory's life was like growing up. Their home is full of love, laughter, and family. I was pretty spoiled too. Randy would make me coffee in the morning,and on occasion even pack my lunch. Randy and I would come home from work, and Paula would have dinner ready,and we'd eat as a family. There were nights when we watched movies, and drank hot tea. Paula taught me how to crochet. We had long talks about marriage, and how it is hard work, but worth it. I can honestly say that in those 7 months I never had an argument with either of them. I could totally be myself with them. I remember one day in the stress of trying to plan everything for our wedding, Cory and I got in an argument on the phone. I can't even remember what it was about now. Anyway, I was home alone, and was crying. Cory's dad came home after a bike ride,and found me upset. Anyone that knows me knows that when I start crying, usually I can't stop. My nose gets all fat, and my face gets red. I was embarrassed to have him see me like that, but I told him what happened. He was so sweet to me, and gave me a hug, and told me about when him and Paula were going to get married, the night before they had a fight about making the punch for the wedding. He told me that it was just part of the stress of getting ready for the big day. He totally made me feel better, and laugh, and then he made me a sandwich.
During one of our premarital classes the lesson was called In-Laws and Out-Laws. Curtis talked to us about how in-laws can sometimes cause problems in a marriage for a variety of reasons. I have had no problems with Paula and Randy, and could never consider them out-laws. They have always treated me so good, and I really know that they love me. Today after Church Paula told me she had something for me out in the car. She handed me this framed picture and it said " If I could have chosen The wife for my son,Without a Doubt... It would Have Been you." Oh how that touched my heart.

I feel very blessed to have a good relationship with Cory's parents, and totally 100% feel part of the family. We love to spend time with them, they are two amazing people.
1 comment:
Paula and Randy are some of the nicest people, and you are truly blessed to have in-laws as special as they are! They are the perfect example of what a marriage should be! Every time I have been to there house they have made me feel welcome. They are truly blessed by God!
Love,
Kiera
Post a Comment