Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Farewell


Cory's Grandpa Dupuy passed away last week. He was diagnosed with lung cancer on a Wednesday and passed the following Sunday. It was sudden, but we are thankful that he did not suffer.This is what I said at his memorial:

I once had a friend tell me that in life there is few times that one can get up and speak on someones behalf, and if it is something to look back on and be glad you did, then you should do it. When I was asked to say something about Ray, Cory’s grandfather, I was honored. I met Cory in December of 1999. I wasn’t sure if he was as nice as he seemed to be, but he was, and when I met his family I realized why he was so wonderful. He had the nicest, and sweetest most geniune family. I went to his grandparents house for the first time on Christmas day in 1999. I was greeted by his smiling grandparents Ray and Lettie. They welcomed me like they’d known me for years, and even had a Christmas present for me. Ray had a smile that was contagious, and he wrapped me up in a strong hug.


When Cory and I got married in 2005…… I remember when Ray came through the receiving line to congratulate us. He told me that he was so happy for us, and to be good to eachother. It meant a lot to have his blessing, especially since he was a devoted husband, and knew what it took to have a long ,lasting, and loving marriage.

Everytime I have ever come across someone who knew Ray and his family, you can bet that they always had something nice to say about them.

My father in law Randy has told me before how he had so much respect for his dad, because he always worked to make sure that his kids had what they needed, and he raised them with love, and set an example of a strong work ethic. I am sure that Ray’s heart swelled when he looked at his beautiful family that he and Lettie made.

It is never easy to say goodbye to a loved one. Ray will be noticeably absent from wonderful moments in the future. After this service it will truly set in that Ray has moved on, and life for the ones he left behind will be different. But to all of you I say : hold on to your memories. Keep them close to your heart, and when you miss him think about his smiling face, and how he would want you to celebrate his life. I think the picture that was used in Ray’s obituary was perfect. That is the way I envision him with that happy, warm smile.

We all love this world that we live in, and all the wonderful things in it. We as humans find it hard to think about leaving this world. This is life as we know it. But I believe that all the wonderful things that God has given us here, he has prepared even more wonderful things in Heaven, and today Ray is settling in his new home. Everyone that is here today was touched in some way by this special man, and I am sure that each of you touched him as well. It was a beautiful life he lived. We will miss him, and we love him dearly.


I meant every word.

2 comments:

Brianne said...

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. Your family will be in my prayers. By the way thanks for the comment on my blog...I LOVE comments. Here is the clay recipe, it is so easy.
2cups flour
1 cup salt
1 Tbsp oil
Water
Food coloring optional
(If you wish to add color to the dough, add food coloring to the water before adding the water to the salt and flour.)
Combine salt and flour. Add oil and enough water to give the mixture a clay consistency. Add more water a little at a time until the mixture is pliable but NOT sticky. Knead slightly.
(Keep the dough in an air tight container so it doesn't dry out)
ENJOY!! :)

Steve and Erin Larsen said...

I am so sorry for your loss but am glad that he is not in pain and he is definitely in a better place. Hang in there. :)