Thursday, February 12, 2009

Working To Make Our Marriage Fireproof


I always prayed to God that he would help me to find someone who loved me just as much as I loved them. God made good on that request, and he brought Cory and I together. One night as Cory and I lay in the dark talking, I told him about my prayer, he held me close and told me that he used to pray the exact same prayer. All God's doing in my eyes. Marriage is a big commitment. A pledge of loving another person through all of life's seasons.

We were asked by some friends to join a small group at our church. The group consists of young married couples, and the study is based on the movie Fireproof, and the Bible. Fireproof is a wonderful movie. It takes the watcher on a journey about the importance of marriage in God's eyes, a lesson about the way that God intended marriage to be.

We started our class,and so far it has been really good. We are using the book The Love Dare which is from the movie Fireproof. It is a 40 day journey of loving your spouse unconditionally. Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love- Ephesians 4:2 This bible verse opened our first dare. For a day we were not allowed to say anything negative to our spouse, thus having patience. No matter what the other did we had to zip our lip. In doing so, a lot of discoveries are made. How often we can be impatient, quick to snap, blind to see how many times we really do not listen to what or spouse is needing. Being patient can eliminate so many "little" problems. What I found though is all those "little" problems can very easily add up... leading to angry, selfish thoughts. For myself I have learned that I am pretty impatient, and just biting my tongue instead of rushing to be negative helped me to think about what I was wanting to say... and most times it has not even been worth the snippy words. This being patient dare has carried on to all the days, but another dare that we had to do was doing something kind for one another. An unexpected gesture that the other would not expect you to do. This was fun, trying to think of something thoughtful to do for Cory. I ironed his clothes, which I never do, and I fed the dogs for him. He brought me coffee in bed, made the bed, and cleaned Ginger's litter box. All these things are simple things.... BUT we both appreciated them because it was one less thing we had to do.

So this is a great tool to working on a Marriage. I would recommend it to any married couple who wants to improve on being more loving, and positive in their marriage relationship. It is so wonderful to have real love, but real love takes nourishment. It takes 100% filled with honesty, kindness, patience, and unselfishness. We have a ways to go in our study, but we are getting a lot out of it. Like anything we won't be perfect, but one day at a time I am confident in knowing that as long as we put an effort in working to make us stronger it will benefit us in so many ways.

I love my husband,and I want him to know that I will always work at our love. Our love is a gift, and I thank God for it.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Brianna, I just watched this film over the last weekend....I loved it also....just in time for valentine's weekend!

BUT, that is not the reason I'm leaving you a comment...lol You have won my OWOH book giveaway! After reading your post on your sewing goof-ups...IM SO HAPPY TO TELL YOU THAT, the book you have won is the GREAT Bend the rules sewing book...yiipeeeee!! So check your messages or just email me at vintageljn@gmail.com and let me know where you want me to send your book!! I'm so happy for you and hope this will make sewing a bet easier. It does get easier!!! Trust me I Know...lol Hugs Lisa