Thursday, March 25, 2010

Reality TV

Last evening while I was making dinner, Cory turned the tv on, and started flipping through the channels. Usually whatever he starts watching is something that I usually wouldn't pick, but still I get sucked in. I would pick a movie, I 've seen a hundred times, or something on TLC. Cory likes shows like Cops, Intervention, or something from the History channel.

I am not sure the exact channel he ended up picking but it was a show about a prison in Mexico. A news crew was interviewing inmates about their lives in this prison. It was horrible. The food in the cafeteria was poorly made, and stored in extremely dirty conditions. There were rats almost as big as cats, and one inmate said that it was not uncommon to find a rat tail in your food, or even a finger. There was even a sewage backup problem that was overflowing in the kitchen.

The living conditions were not the only bad thing, it was also the violence that went on. Inmates were killing one another, and even forcing others to take their own lives. I told Cory that we need to thank God, because we are so blessed to be able to have healthy food to eat, and a nice place to call home. Cory said that while he realized that we are indeed blessed, that those people also have done bad things to get themselves in that prison. I agree, but I also have to dig deeper, and think that could just as easily be me. It could be me, if I didn't have such a loving family who supported, and loved me, and taught me to love God, and to make good decisions. It makes me feel for those prisoners, and wonder what their lives were like as children growing up. Why did their lives have to lead to this path? I got really disturbed watching that show, and I didn't even see the whole thing, just bits and pieces. It sure made me think, and pray. And that is a good thing.

3 comments:

Brianne said...

We are so blessed to live in such a free land! I'm also grateful for a great family he loved and supported me as a child and continue too! It does make a world of difference to have a strong foundation :) Especially with God in your life!

Cheryl said...

I find that those shows are very disturbing also. I'm not sure why they put them on TV. Is it to make us think about the good in the world or the bad? I wish everyone could have the foundation that you and I were been born with. The world would be a lot better place, eh? I think about Christ and those that were so wicked to Him and crucified Him and still on the cross He asked His Father to forgive them because they didn't know what they were doing. That. is. love. We all have the opportunity to have God in our lives, keep praying and teaching people about Him. You are a wonderful, sensitive person.

Kiera said...

So... even though we were blessed with wonderful lives as children and raised well, sometimes those types of people end up in prison also. It is not only how we were raised or what our childhood was like. It is the decisions we make as an adult. Look at my cousin- he had the BEST childhood anyone could ask for. He went to one of the best colleges in the United States was highly ranked in the military and still found himself serving 20 yrs in prison. Now that he has completely turned his life over to Christ it makes we wonder if that is the path God chose for some of these people to take so they would find Him. My cousin would've never found the Lord if it wasnt for prison.