Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Random Thoughts on Ants


This summer, every morning when I walk up the sidewalk to my work... I see these red ants that are furiously busy, carrying loads of crumbs on their backs. They are certainly on a mission. I try very hard to watch my steps so that I don't crush any of them. It makes me think about when I was little. I think I was like 4 of 5. I was out in my grandma's front yard, barefoot. My mom was saying goodbye in the driveway to someone who had visited. My little feet stopped in one place, and stood still for too long. I was standing in a red ant pile... and OUCH. I just remember screaming, and crying, and my mom running towards me, swooping me up, and slapping those ants off. My grandma dug up some mud and packed it in a thick mask on my feet... (sounds weird), but it sure did stop the stinging. Anyway from that day forward, I really hated ants, and if I came across them I would step on them and wish them good riddance. But now I feel really bad about those ants that I killed for no reason. So today even though I don't necessarily like them, I do respect them. And everytime I see those ants, I think about how they are just doing what they are here to do.. so I do my best not to disturb them. Now spiders... those are a different story. I don't think I'll be going soft on those creepy crawlies anytime soon.

2 comments:

Brianne said...

Yeah a spider is a whole different story for sure! :)

Cheryl said...

Sorry, no sympathy for ants, spiders, or any other creepy crawly thing!!! Smart grandmother... mud, huh?