Thursday, July 15, 2010

Matching DNA


I have had many people ask me through out my life if I have any brothers or sisters. And that question lingers in my heart... because though I was raised an only child, I do indeed have a brother and a sister. Many nights or lazy days I have daydreamed about a family that I don't know.

On Wednesday I was reunited with my brother and my sister.. and it was wonderful. It seems they have always thought of me, just as I have thought of them. Our lives have been separate. They grew up with their mom, and I with mine. But we share the same father. Through him we are blood.

I was nervous as I drove to meet them for dinner. Would they like me? Did they really want to see me, and what would it be like to see them. I got there first. I waited and my heart was full of anticipation. Melissa got there next. She is very beautiful, and has a smile that lights up the room. She gave me a hug, and we sat side by side, the two of us obviously nervous. Then Johnny came in, and he too smiled big, and there we were.. siblings in the same room. Melissa is 27, Johnny is 29, and I am the oldest 30...okay 31.

Though we were all a bit frazzled by our nerves, we talked easily, exchanged compliments, asked eachother tons of questions, laughed nervously, and expressed regrets of so many years we lost. But it was good. I feel that they were genuine, and I feel that our conversation was heartfelt.

We asked the waiter if he could take our picture. It was funny because we stayed at the restaurant almost until it closed... but the time went so fast. I don't really remember driving home, my head was full of thoughts, and my heart full with emotions. In a way I didn't realize how much I was missing them until I saw them. My hope is that we can continue to keep in touch, and get to know eachother.




You know the song We.Are.Family.. got all my brothers and sisters with me...
If you have heard the song, it makes you feel good.. and that is just how I felt. And how I still feel...

3 comments:

Kiera said...

I am glad you three hit it off. I know how nervous you were. Its funny- I emailed Don the pictures you sent me and he replied "do you think they look like each other"? I told him that in some ways you do, but not really and he thinks you and your brother look a lot alike!

And said...

Brianna,

The exact same thing happened to my mom a few years ago. She met a half-sister and a half-brother that she has from her father. They all hit it off great and they are a big part of our lives now. I am grateful to know my aunt and uncle. People make bad choices (my aunt is the same age as my mom's full brother), but God works all things for good!

Steve and Erin Larsen said...

That is so great you guys had such a joyous reunion!!! That would be such a nerve racking but exciting thing to see your brother and sister again that you haven't seen in years! So happy for you. :)