Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Am I Kinda Anal?


I have never thought that I could ever be thrown into the category of being Anal. There are some recent discoveries that are making me change my mind, just a bit.

People who I know that are anal are (and I love these people immensely) my mother, my husband, and my cousin Donovan.

My dear mom is so neat, sometimes I cringe, because I wonder what happened to me. She recently stayed over at my house. She was downstairs before me, and when I went down I suddenly began to notice some differences around the living area. My stack of magazines that were strewed a long the coffee table, were now in a very neat pile, angled at just the right direction. The throw pillows that belong on our sofa were no longer “thrown”, they were now sitting, perfectly spaced apart, and vertically straight all along the seats of the couch. The two comfy blankets that sometimes are sloppy folded, where now neatly folded in equal three parts, and stacked on eachother, in the middle of my ottoman. My mom, noticed my eyes traveling around the room, and with a smile she said, “oh I was just straightening up a bit.” Then later walking by the bathroom she took a shower in, my mouth almost dropped to see how perfectly the towel that she used was hanging from the shower rod. I mean seriously, I don’t know how but I can’t make a towel look that neat… I tried. I wish I had a picture. That is just my mom. She has always been organized, and meticulous. Even her bedroom looks like the bed never gets slept in. She is so clean, and orderly.

Cory is also very neat. Not in a perfect way like my mom, but he is just good about putting his things away, and getting rid of stuff that he is not using anymore. He eliminates the process of clutter build up. It is embarrassing to say that his bathroom, and closet are always cleaner then mine. He also irons practically all his clothes. We are talking even T-shirts, and jeans.

Then Donovan, he is sort of in the category with my mom. He is very neat. He likes things spaced apart, and organized. He is kind of a slow poke, though making sure something is just so. I used to love to go into his room when we were younger, and take something on his dresser, and slightly move it over. I swear he always knew. Shortly after he entered his room, you would hear “who was in my room!”


The point I was coming to though, is that though I may not be super neat like the examples above. I do have certain areas where I think may have a tinge of the anal definition. I am particular, as to how towels are folded… in half, and then folded in three parts…. Umm yes it is the way my mom folds towels. When washing dishes, I hate having more then one dish in water at one time… it really disturbs me. Cooking, is also hard to do with other people, because I have certain ways that I think it should be done. Cory and I have been trying to cook together, and it is so hard for me to refrain from correcting him. Also I have just learned in general that sometimes I have felt overwhelmed by all things I needed to do to keep the house running. I have found that Cory is a great help, when I am not telling him how I want him to do things, and just letting him do it.

Either way… it is funny to analyze the quirky things that people do, that simply make up who they are. Once I had a friend tell me that my purse looked like a trash in the inside. (Kiera) Ever since then my purse looks a lot better, and neater. But how is it that someone that can have a sloppy purse, junk drawers, or cluttered glove compartment, can still be so particular when it comes to the way things get cleaned, or put away. Thinking about it, I am very particular about how I do things. Weird.So is that being bossy or is it kind of anal?

1 comment:

Kiera said...

You are not bossy or anal. Just particular.

About Donovan. You could not have described him better, except you forgot to mention that he spaces all his hanges a finger width apart.

As for the trashy purse. I am a hipocrit. I do remember telling you that, however, mine is starting to look like that now. Ahhhh