Monday, November 22, 2010

Good Exposure or Bad?

The other day my husband sat down next to me on the couch, looked me in the eyes and said "I googled you." He said it so seriously that it made me a little worried as to what he had found. Which turned out to be a few pictures that had been on my facebook page, and different pieces of comments I'd left on blogs I read. He asked me if I felt comfortable that my name and picture was out there on the web, and to be honest it does make me a little uneasy. I know it is not bad stuff, but it is kind of scary to think that if someone is looking for you there are ways that lead to you on the net. Cory is against Facebook big time. He thinks it is silly. He says why would he want to know that someone went for a walk, and then ate pizza. I guess he just likes to be private. I used to be on Facebook, and then after our house got broken into, I got off. I guess having a blog isn't much more secure. I missed Facebook at first. I just really liked looking at people's pictures, and seeing what people from highschool were up to. But now I don't really think about it much. I guess now that we are going to have a baby, I am thinking about how safe it is to be exposing my life online. Then I think my baby is going to be growing up in a world where computer technology will advance even more... so it is also just part of new times. Something to think about... but I do like to google.

2 comments:

Kiera said...

I googled my name the other day and all kinds of crap came up, including my address. I freaked out. It was some voter information website that had it. I removed my info from that website immediately.

But I still use fb, and I blog and I have a baby. If someone really wanted your information all they have to do is tap into your computer (all it takes is a wireless internet connection).

Its scarey.

Brianne said...

I agree it can be scary :)