Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Bookworms are Better then Couch Potatos


Growing up I loved to read! I mean like I couldn't get enough of it, and often I would have two or three books that I was reading at the same time. I still like to read, but I do not know what has happened to me in the last couple of years. Actually maybe I do.. I watch too much tv.. I do. If I wasn't watching tv, surely I would read more. I never had cable tv growing up, and so I played outside alot, and when I was indoors.. I read. I really miss reading. Now in my life my hubster and I enjoy to rent tv series from Netflix.. we always have something to watch.. but I think we are overdoing it. There is so much to see and do outside of the living room couch. I cringe at the thought of giving up tv.. but how do I cut back? Another thing is I really miss the books of my youth. I loved to read the Ramona books by Beverly Cleary, all of Judy Blume books, Little House on the Prairie books, The Babysitter Club books, The Sweet Valley High books... there were so many. Infact I have a lot of the books mentioned above stored away. Is it weird to want to read those books again that are really meant for young readers?
My mother in law had the collection of the Harry Potter books, so I started reading those.. I got to book 4, and still haven't finished. I also have the Twilight series and have only gotten through the first one. I fear that my lack of reading has led me to miss out on so many wonderful books. Just the other day while looking through old boxes for stuff to sell at my mom's yard sale I found several old notebooks. Written on those pages were stories I had started, poems, and just journal entries about life and opinions. Wow.. I was a much better writer then compared to now. I really think that all those books I used to read contributed to my writing skills. It is true that to keep the mind strong you have to feed it. I was amazed to see that my writing was much more interesting then it is now. It seems I should have only gotten better not worse. I think I am truly seeing the bad effects of watching too much television.
I really need to get back on the reading train. Years ago when I was little and didn't watch much tv.. there was one show that I loved to watch that came out on Saturday mornings. It was called Reading Rainbow, and the show had kids who would review a favorite book... and I would usually go to the library and check the book out if it sounded good.
I think reading is beneficial in so many ways. I love that when I read a book, I can visualize what the characters look like, and what the places look like. My imagination soars.
I think I may try to set a goal to read a new book at least once a month.. and then I will review it here. Does anyone have any books to recommend?

3 comments:

Andrea Fortenberry said...

Hi Briana! I love to read too and always have! Since we moved into our new house, we didn't sign up for cable and I've found that I have more free time now since I'm not watching TV. I've been able to read and write more and I don't miss it a while lot.

It's hard to cut back on TV, so great job on making that a goal and for wanting to read more!

Here are a few good book recommendations:
1. "Going Rogue" by Sarah Palin
2. I'm currently re-reading a book I read in college called "On Writing Well" by William Zinsser. It's helping to refresh my writing skills.
3. "Captivating" by John and Stasi Eldredge.
4. "Marley and Me" by John Grogan.

Let me know if you read any of these and what you think!

Brianna said...

Andrea.. thank you so much for the suggestions!! I have read Marley & Me.. and I loved it!! Tears and all... as for the others I will keep in mind. I have wanted to read Going Rogue by Sarah Palin, as I am intrigued by her. Hopefully I can get to reading ;)

Kiera said...

So... you know me- I am not really a reader at all. However, I must admit- I am ahead of you on the Twilight series. I am halfway through book 3. Instead of finding new books maybe try to finish the ones you have started and then search for new books. We could read together!!!!!!!!!