Friday, May 21, 2010

Scaredy Cat


I woke with a start. My eyes tried to focus in the dark room, and I was clammy with damp sweat laying evenly on my flesh. Was it a dream? The room was silent and still, with no warnings of danger. I reached across me to feel my sleeping husband next to me. My hand rested on his back until I was certain I could feel the rise and fall of his breathing. He was okay. He was here. Must have been a dream that woke me so abruptly. I turned to lay on my side, as my heart slowed to a steady beat. I tried to remember the thoughts of my sleep. Nothing. Then... a rustling. What was that? My ears strained in the dark for any sound. Silence again, but my heart was speeding up. Quietly I laid, waiting for another sound to solve the uneasiness I felt. Silence. Silence. And then POUNCE.... something jumped straight on me landing hard on my shoulder. It was her. Ginger. That cat... she was playing. Her purring motor was going full force. It was my furry love that woke me from a deep sleep. It was almost as if she knew that I was wondering what, who... With a sigh of relief, and a little annoyance I was able to calm myself to go back to sleep. Thankful my late night mystery was solved.

3 comments:

Kiera said...

I have officially picked your career for you: Author. You are SOOO good at writing, especially suspense. I dont have that knack at all.

My biggest annoyance with Misha is when she wakes me up in the middle of the night. Even BIGGER annoyance with her is when she wakes Liam up. Arghhhh.

Brianne said...

Oh my! It is a good thing you LOVE that cat! I would be so upset! I loved how you so vividally describe how it went...I felt like I was there :)

Unknown said...

First of all, Ginger is a beautiful cat! Secondly, I have a cat as well and I can relate to the middle of the night pounces. My husband has become accustomed to those as well!!!